Fun Facts About Doordarshan You Probably Did Not KnowJan 13, 2020 | Newspaper
Do you remember the time when Doordarshan was probably the only entertainment TV channel that aired some iconic Ads and TV shows? The tune of Amul Ad, the sweet voice of Jalebi kid from Dhara Oil Ad, the heart touching song of Cadbury commercial, the Rasna tagline 'I love you Rasna' and the vibrant Liril song still reverberates in our ears. Yes, Doordarshan has been there forever to entertain with their iconic contents. However, are you aware of the milestones it has crossed and the pioneering work it has witnessed along its journey? In this write-up, let us walk down the memory of Doordarshan and check out the interesting facts which until now was not known to us.
Little Known Facts about the Old Kid- Doordarshan
- Doordarshan began with an experimental telecast in Delhi on September 15, 1959.
- It started with a makeshift studio with its equipment provided by Philips India.
- It had a coverage of only 40 kilometres around Delhi when it had started. Programmes used to be telecast twice a week for an hour per day.
- Doordarshan used to be a part of the All India Radio till 1976. It became a national broadcaster in 1982.
- Colour television in India was introduced by Doordarshan in 1982, with the live airing of the Independence Day speech by the then Prime Minister of India, Indira Gandhi.
- Doordarshan had borrowed ATS-6 satellite from NASA for a year to attempt using space technology for social education. Such an attempt was the first of its kind in the world.
- Krishi Darshan, a programme directed at disseminating agricultural information to the farming population of the country, commenced on Doordarshan in 1967. It is the longest-running television series in the world.
- The first TV serial on Doordarshan was Ladoo Singh Taxiwala which commenced in 1976.
- Doordarshan introduced Shaktimaan, India’s first superhero, to the viewers in 1998.
- Indian television witnessed Hum Log, the first soap opera of India, on Doordarshan.
- Commercials started being aired on Doordarshan in 1976.
- Doordarshan was relaunched on November 17, 2014. A new theme of pink and purple along with a new punch line “Desh ka Apna Channel” was given to it.
- DD-1, the largest terrestrial network in the world, covers about 91.2% population and 79% land area of the country.
While today, we are surrounded by the new age TV channels, YouTube, various social media platforms and platforms like Netflix, Hotstar, etc., the essence of Doordarshan is unbeatable. It is a pure nostalgia which only the kids of the 80's and early 90’s can understand.
What's more? The unbeatable popularity of the channels still drives the brands to release television advertisement here. To Book Television Advertising in Doordarshan, visit our Television Advertising Page and promote your business easily and Instantly with Bookadsnow.